Keith H. had his Olympus EM-5 MII camera converted to infrared, so one day after lunch we stopped by Central Winds Park in Winter Springs so he could test it. I’ve had my IR E-PL5 for a while, but wanted to see how it worked with the Oly 50 – 140mm f/2.8 lens.
This frame was at ISO 200, 150mm (300mm equivalent), f/5.6, 1/80 second. It’s handheld, but I braced the camera and the winds were calm so the shutter speed was high enough to prevent motion blur. And the long focal length and close focus makes the blurred background look very nice. So I think this lens works well in IR.
The processing was comparatively straightforward. I ran it through DxO Optics Pro for noise reduction and detail improvement. The rest was in Lightroom: Crop, exposure, contrast, clarity, to taste; spot removal for small specs of dirt on the flower; and then small doses of post-crop vignette and de-haze to get to an initial false color IR image.
As a last step, I tried something new. Instead of converting to Black and White, I played around with the vibrance slider to partly desaturate the colors in the image. This gave me the “pseudo B&W” you see above. I like this rendering and I’m going to try it in the future for IR images.
If you have any questions about this, feel free to ask in the comments and I’ll do my best to answer.
Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. Now – go make some photos!
©2016, Ed Rosack. All rights reserved.
4 thoughts on “Flower in IR”
Nice processing on the flower Ed! Now I’m thinking about an IR camera.
Thanks, Jeff. I’ve really enjoyed my IR camera.
Your image is very professional and lovely looking…a real delight to see…
Thank you, Dorothy – I’m happy with how it turned out.